1. Stuff the chicken with forcemeat or herb stuffing and truss.
2. Melt the dripping in a roasting tin in a preheated hot oven 220°C (425°F) Gas Mark 7.
3. Put the chicken in the tin and baste with the dripping.
4. If you like, cover the breast with bacon rashers.
5. Roast for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to moderately hot 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5.
6. Continue roasting until the chicken is cooked: test by piercing the thigh with a skewer the juices that run out should be clear.
7. Fifteen minutes before the chicken is cooked, remove the bacon rashers if used. Lightly dredge the bird with flour and baste with the fat in the tin. Continue roasting to brown the breast.
8. Accompany with gravy, bread sauce and rolls of grilled or fried bacon.