2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter or margarine
4 oz (100 g) onions, skinned and sliced
4 oz (100 g) carrots, pared and sliced
4 cups (1 litre) 1 3/4 pint turkey or chicken stock
1 large lemon
1 bouquet garni
1 level tbsp (15 ml) arrowroot
salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 fl oz (142 ml) carton single cream
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the sliced vegetables and cook gently until tender, stirring frequently. Pour over the stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer.
2. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly pare the rind from the lemon. Pour boiling water over the rind and leave for 1 minute; drain.
3. Add the rind, juice of the lemon and bouquet garni to the pan contents.
4. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until the vegetables are really soft.
5. Remove the bouquet garni. Puree the soup a little at a time in an electric blender.
6. In a clean pan, blend the arrowroot with a little of the soup then add the remainder, stirring. Bring to the boil, stirring.
7. Adjust seasoning before adding the cream. Reheat but do not boil.