serves 4 to 6
675 g (1 1/2 lb) plums, halved and stoned (seeded)
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz sugar
for the topping
1 3/4 cup (170 g) 6 1/2 oz plain flour (All purpose)
3 oz (75 g) 6 tbsp butter or margarine
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz Demerara (raw) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
3 oz (75 g) hazelnuts (filberts), toasted and chopped
1. Set the oven at 180°c (350°f) gas 4.
2. Place the plums in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the sugar.
3. Make the topping. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter or margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and hazelnuts.
5. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the plums, pressing it down very lightly.
6. Bake the crumble for about 45 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the plums are cooked.
7. Serve with custard, cream or vanilla ice cream.
30 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!