4 pounds rib roast
4 tablespoons pepper
4 tablespoons garlic powder
1/4 cup salt
2 onions, sliced
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon fennel seed
1 tablespoon pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1. Place a rib roast in a large roasting pan. Remove any fat in one piece and reserve. Cut slits 1/2-inch deep in the meat so the spices will penetrate.
2. Over the top of the meat sprinkle pepper, then garlic powder, and then salt, totally covering the garlic layer.
3. Carefully arrange thinly sliced onions in an even layer on top of the salt so as not to disturb the seasoning. Refrigerate overnight.
4. Place the fat piece back on top and bake the roast at 550*F until the fat is dark brown, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours.
5. Remove the fat and discard. Scrape off the onions and as much of the seasonings as possible and discard. Then with a long knife, slice between the ribs into steaks.
6. In a bowl combine salt, white pepper, fennel seed, pepper, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle over the steaks and blacken in a heavy skillet over very high heat.