1 piece rolled brisket weighing about 1.12kg (2 1/2 lb)
8 allspice berries
8 juniper berries
12 black peppercorns
60 ml (4 tbls) malt vinegar
1 level tbsp (15 ml) Barbados (brown) sugar
2 bay leaves
60 ml (4 tbls) stock
1. Crush the spices together using a pestle and mortar. Mix them with the vinegar and sugar.
2. Put the mixture into an enamel or earthenware casserole.
3. Put in the beef and rub it with the spice mixture.
4. Put a bay leaf on top and below the beef, cover it and leave it for 4 hours at room temperature.
5. Heat the oven to gas mark 4/ 180°C (350°F).
6. Pour the stock around the beef.
7. Cover the casserole and put it into the oven for 2 hours.
8. Serve the beef accompanied by horseradish sauce.
10 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!