125 g shortcrust pastry
175 g mincemeat
50 g marachino cherries, drained and quartered
5 ml spoon lemon juice
1 medium size egg white
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
3 marachino cherries, quartered
1. Roll out the pastry thinly on a floured surface and use to line twelve 7.5 cm patty tins. Prick the bases well and chill for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
3. Press a piece of foil into each pastry case and bake blind in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove the foil and return to the oven for 2 minutes.
5. Mix together the filling ingredientsp. Divide between the pastry cases.
6. Whisk the egg white until stiff, then whisk in the sugar a tablespoon at a time. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm fluted nozzle and pipe a rosette on top of each pie. Top with the cherry pieces.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4 for 6 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or cold.