1/3 cup (75 g) butter or block margarine
1 2/3 cup (175 g) self raising (self rising) flour
1/3 cup (65 g) sugar
1 egg, beaten
45 - 60 ml (3-4 tbsps) milk
2 - 3 tbsp (30 - 40 ml) mincemeat
1 cooking apple, peeled
1 level tbsp (15 ml) Demerara (raw) sugar
1. Grease a baking sheet.
2. Rub the fat into the flour and stir in the sugar.
3. Add the egg and sufficient milk to give a fairly firm dough, knead lightly and cut into 2 pieces.
4. Put on a floured board and roll out one half quite thinly into a round.
5. Transfer to the baking sheet and spread with mincemeat to within about 1 cm (1/2 in) of the edge.
6. Grate the apple coarsely and spread thinly over the mincemeat.
7. Roll out the remaining dough to make a lid; damp the edges of the dough on the tray,
8. cover with the lid and press the edges firmly.
9. Knock up the edges and make a small slit in the centre.
10. Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with brown sugar.
11. Bake in the oven at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden and crisp.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!