serves 4 - 5
1 kg (2 lb) Jerusalem artichokes, peeled
3 Tbsp (40 g) butter
2 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
3 eggs, separated
3 tablespoons grated cheese
1. Steam the artichokes until tender. This will take about 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
3. Gradually stir in the milk and bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring, until thickened.
4. Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks, cheese, salt and pepper.
5. Slice the artichokes and place them in a baking dish.
6. Whisk the egg whites and fold into the cheese mixture.
7. Spoon on top of the artichokes. Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6 for 30 minutes.