1 small hard cabbage, cored and cut lengthways into pieces
25 g (1 oz) fat
1 lb (450 g) chipolata sausages
1 small onion, chopped
1 rabbit, jointed
3 to 4 bacon rashers, rinded
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt game or chicken stock
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml dry cider
salt and pepper
1 bouquet garni
1. Cook the cabbage in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain well and place in a casserole.
2. Melt the fat in a frying pan and fry the sausages and onion until the sausages are golden brown on all sides.
3. Remove from the heat and drain.
4. Place the rabbit pieces on top of the cabbage in the casserole, then add the sausages and onion.
5. Cover with the bacon rashers. Pour in the stock and cider and add the salt, pepper and bouquet garni.
6. Cover the casserole very tightly, sealing with a flour and water paste, if necessary.
7. Cook in a preheated cool oven 150°C (300°F) Gas mark 2 for 2 1/2 hours.
11 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!