2 cups (225 g) 8 oz flour
4 oz (100 g) shredded suet
2 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 oz (50 g) chopped mixed fresh herbs
little chopped onion (optional)
4 oz (100 g) cooked rabbit or chicken meat or bacon, minced
2 tablespoons stock
beaten egg to glaze
knob of dripping (fat from roasted meat)
1. Sift the flour with a pinch of salt into a bowl.
2. Add the suet and bind with the milk.
3. Roll out this dough to 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick.
4. Mix together the egg, herbs, onion, if used, salt and pepper and spread over the dough.
5. Mix the meat with the stock and spread over the herb mixture.
6. Roll up like a Swiss roll and pinch the ends with a sprinkle of flour.
7. Place in a greased baking tin and brush with beaten egg. Add the dripping to the tin.
8. Bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with the melted fat in the tin.