1 tablespoon oil
4 chicken joints, skinned, boned and cut into bite-sized pieces
4 back bacon rashers, rinded and diced
2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
8 oz (225 g) rice
1 pint (600 ml) chicken stock
few strands of saffron
16 mussels, cooked (optional)
12 prawns, cooked
8 oz (225 g) peas, cooked
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the chicken pieces, bacon, tomatoes and onion until the onion is softened.
2. Add the garlic and green pepper and fry for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the rice and cook until it absorbs the liquid, then add the stock and saffron.
4. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the rice is almost tender.
5. Add the mussels, if used, the prawns, peas, salt and pepper and heat through gently.
6. Serve hot with a tossed green salad.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!