makes 1 loaf
1/2 oz (15 g) fresh yeast or 2 tsp dried
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt lukewarm water
2 cups (225 g) 8 oz flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
3 Tbsp (40 g) butter
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2 oz (50 g) raisins
1/2 oz (15 g) chopped mixed peel
2 oz (50 g) sultanas (golden raisins)
2 oz (50 g) currants
1 egg, beaten
1. Cream the yeast with a little of the water and leave in a warm place until frothy.
2. Sift the flour, salt and spice into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
3. Add the yeast and the remaining water and mix to a dough.
4. Turn out and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth, firm and elastic.
5. Shape into a ball and put into an oiled polythene bag.
6. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
7. Cream together the butter and sugar, then beat in the fruit and egg. Turn the dough out of the bag and knock back.
8. Beat in the fruit mixture and add more flour if necessary to make a good consistency.
9. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 500 g (1 lb) loaf tin.
10. Cover loosely with oiled polythene and leave to rise in a warm place until the dough reaches the top of the tin.
11. Bake in a preheated hot oven 220°C (425°F) Gas Mark 7 for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
33 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!