makes 8 rolls
1/2 oz (15 g) fresh yeast or 2 tsp dried
alternatively, use 7.5 ml (1 1/2 level tsp) dried yeast and 1 level tsp (5 ml) sugar
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt tepid milk
2 cups (225 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1 level tsp (5 ml) salt
25 g (1oz) margarine or lard
1. Blend the fresh yeast with the milk. For dried yeast, dissolve the sugar in the milk, sprinkle the yeast over and leave until frothy.
2. Mix the flour and salt and rub in the fat.
3. Add the yeast liquid and mix to a fairly soft dough, adding a little more milk if necessary.
4. Beat well and knead on a floured board until smooth.
5. Allow to rise in a warm place (about 23°C, 75°F) until doubled in size.
6. Knead lightly on a floured board, divide into 8 pieces and shape into rolls or buns.