serves 6 - 8
1 ox tongue
4 tablespoons oil
2 onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
175 g (6 oz) seedless raisins
300 g (11 oz) canned tomatoes
2 oz (50 g) stuffed olives, sliced
1 green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1. Put the tongue in a saucepan and cover with water.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer, allowing 30 minutes per 450 g (1 lb) and 30 minutes over.
3. Cool in the water, then drain and remove the skin.
4. Put the tongue in a roasting tin.
5. Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onions and garlic until golden brown.
6. Stir in the raisins, then add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring well.
7. Pour the sauce over the tongue and bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 1 hour.
10 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!