1 boiling fowl
slice of lemon
1 onion, quartered
1 carrot, chopped
1 bouquet garni
1. Rub the breast of the fowl with the lemon to whiten it and place the fowl in a saucepan of warm water.
2. Add salt, the onion, carrot, bouquet garni and peppercorns.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer very gently until tender - the cooking time varies according to the age of the bird.
4. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
5. Drain the fowl and serve with parsley, lemon or cream sauce and grilled/broiled bacon rolls.