1 tablespoon fat
1 lb (450 g) stewing beef, cut into 8 pieces
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml water
1/2 bay leaf
pinch of dried thyme or mixed herbs
1/2 teaspoon chopped parsley
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt red wine
1. Melt the fat in a saucepan and brown the pieces of beef on all sides.
2. Remove them from the pan.
3. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry until browned.
4. Sprinkle over the flour and fry, stirring well, until brown.
5. Gradually stir in the water, then add salt, pepper and the herbs and bring to the boil.
6. Return the meat to the pan and simmer gently for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
7. Fifteen minutes before the meat is ready, stir in the wine.
61 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!