2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 2/3 cup (200 g) 7 oz canned crushed pineapple, drained
25 g (1 oz) diced red pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
few drops of Worcestershire sauce
pinch of dried mixed herbs
4 medium whole mackerel, cleaned
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion until softened.
2. Stir in the pineapple, red pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and salt and leave to cool.
3. When the stuffing is cool, use it to fill the cavities in the mackerel.
4. Secure the fish closed with wooden cocktail sticks.
5. If there is any stuffing left over, spread it on the bottom of a greased ovenproof dish.
6. Place the fish on top, cover the dish and cook in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 45 minutes or until the fish is done.
7. Remove the cocktail sticks before serving, hot or cold, with French bread and a green salad.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!