1/4 lb. (1/2 cup) butter
1 pound beef chuck cut into 1 x 2 inch pieces.
1 large sweet onion-sliced thin
a bouquet garni: thyme, sage, parsley, bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon salt.
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup beef stock
1 pint guinness stout
4 medium potatoes (1 lb peeled)
2 tablespoons parsley
large manly sweet carrots
1. Heat butter in skillet, brown the beef in batches, set aside.
2. cook onion in hot fat for 3 minutes untill just soffened, return meat to pan add bouquet garni, salt, pepper, stock and stout and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Cook stew uncovered in preheated 350°F (180°C) gas mark 4. degrees oven for about one hour.
4. add potatoes and bake for 45 minutes till all is tender.
5. add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Thicken sauce with butter and flour.
7. Garnish with parsley.