1. heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. grease baking sheet.
3. combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl and mix.
4. Add butter bits and cut in with knife until mixture is crumbly.
5. add oats and toss to combine.
6. in other bowl beat egg with buttermilk.
7. make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour in the egg mixture and mix with a fork until crumbs hold together. Make dough into ball and transfer to floured surface. Knead 20 - 25 times. Add flour if sticky.
8. pat dough into 8-inch round and transfer to baking sheet.
9. score a deep cross into the bread but do not cut it through
10. bake 15-20 minutes till brown.