1 large eggplant
1 large clove garlic
1/2 - 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
3 tablespoons tahini (creamed sesame)
finely grated peel of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
cayenne pepper for sprinkling
lemon slices and sprig of parsley, to garnish pitta bread, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
2. Prick eggplant with a fork.
3. Bake eggplant in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes until softened and skin has turned dark brown.
4. Trim ends and peel.
5. Puree flesh in a blender or food processor with garlic, shallots, garam masala, tahini, lemon peel and juice until smooth and evenly combined. Add salt to taste.
6. Turn mixture into a serving bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
7. Garnish with lemon slices and sprig of parsley. Serve with warm ringers of pitta bread.