4 medium sized whiting
2 tsp (10 g) 1/2 oz green olives
1 medium-sized onion
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
3 oz (75 g) wholemeal breadcrumbs
grated rind and juice 1 medium sized orange
30 ml (2 tbls) white wine vinegar
15 ml (1 tbls) chopped thyme
30 ml (2 tbls) chopped parsley
freshly ground black pepper
30 ml (2 tbls) oil
1. Clean the whiting if necessary and scrape away the dark skin that lines the belly.
2. Make three diagonal slits on each side of the fish.
3. Stone (pit) and chop the olives.
4. Finely chop the onion and garlic.
5. Melt the butter in a frying-pan on a low heat.
6. Mix in the onion and garlic and cook them until they are soft.
7. Mix in the olives, breadcrumbs, orange rind and juice, vinegar, herbs and pepper.
8. Take the pan from the heat.
9. Press the stuffing into the belly cavities of each fish.
10. Brush the whiting on both sides with oil.
11. Preheat the grill (broiler) to high.
12. Lay the whiting on the hot rack and cook them for 10 minutes on each side.