1 pigeon (squab or prairie chicken)
3 large carrots
1 large white turnip
1 medium-sized parsnip
225 g (1/2 lb) leeks
3 large sticks celery
1 medium-sited onion
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
2 level tbsp wholemeal (whole grain) flour
30 ml (2 tbls) tomato puree (paste)
1.1 litre (2 pt) 5 cups stock or water
1 1/4 cups (275 ml) 1/2 pt dry cider or 1 cup apple cider plus 4 tbls applejack
60 ml (4 tbls) chopped, mixed herbs
60 ml (4 tbls) chopped parsley
1. Finely dice all the vegetables.
2. Heat the butter in a large saucepan on a high heat.
3. Put in the bird and brown it all over.
4. Remove it and lower the heat. Mix in the vegetables, cover them and let them sweat for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the flour and cook it for 1 minute.
6. Stir in the tomato paste and then the stock or water and cider.
7. Bring the soup to the boil and add the chopped herbs. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
8. Take out the bird. Remove all the meat from the bones and dice it finely.
9. Return it to the soup and reheat if necessary.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!