For wholefood Christmas mince pies, make the pastry with wholemeal (whole grain) flour and fill them with this delicious, moist suet-free mincemeat. It will keep for up to 6 months and fills about three 450 g (1 lb) jars.
350 g (3/4 lb) fairly sharp eating (tart) apples
25 g (1 oz) 1 tbls whole candied peel (candied fruit) (candied fruit)
2 tbls (50 g) 2 oz almonds
125 g (1/4 lb) 2/3 cup green (seedless) grapes
225 g (1/2 lb) 1 1/2 cups raisins
225 g (1/2 lb) 1 1/2 cups currants
125 g (1/4 lb) sultanas (golden raisins) (white raisins (muscats)
grated rind and juice 1 lemon
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground allspice
little freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup (125 g) 1/4 lb Barbados (brown) (brown) sugar
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz melted butter
120 ml (8 tbls) 1/2 cup brandy
accompaniments (you may need these)
1. Peel, core and finely chop the apples.
2. Finely chop the candied peel.
3. Blanch and split the almonds and cut them into fine slivers.
4. Halve and seed the grapes.
5. Put them all into a large bowl and mix in the rest of the ingredients.
6. Mix well and pack the mixture into sterilized jam jars.
60 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!