serves 4 to 6
2 oz (50 g) soft white breadcrumbs
2 tbsp (30 g) 1 oz granulated sugar
2 eggs, separated
375 ml (13 fl oz) milk
1 tbls (15 g) 1/2 oz butter, melted
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla essence
8 oz (225 g) mincemeat
1/3 cup (75 g) 3oz castor sugar
for the short crust pastry
3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain flour (All purpose)
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) margarine (or half butter, half lard)
flour for rolling out
1. Set the oven at 200°c (400°f) gas 6.
2. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough.
4. Press the dough together with your fingertips.
5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line an 18 cm (7 inch) flan tin or ring placed on a baking sheet.
6. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans.
7. Bake 'blind' for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and beans.
8. Return to the oven for 5 minutes, then remove. Lower the oven temperature to 180°c (350°f) gas 4.
9. Combine the breadcrumbs, sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and mix well.
10. Warm the milk and butter together in a saucepan until the butter has just melted, then stir slowly into the breadcrumb mixture.
11. Mix well, then stir in the vanilla essence. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
12. Pour the breadcrumb filling into the flan case and bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until the custard is firm.
13. Remove from the oven. Raise the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F) gas 6.
14. Spread the mincemeat over the crumb custard.
15. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl until stiff, gradually whisking in about 50 g (2 oz) of the caster sugar.
16. Pile or spoon the meringue over the pie filling, covering both the mincemeat and the pastry edge completely.
17. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
18. Bake for 5 - 10 minutes until the meringue is golden.
Serve at once, with single cream.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!