4 medium size eggs, separated
3/4 cup (175 g) 6 oz sugar
1 1/2 cups (175 g) 6 oz self raising (self rising) flour
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 tbsp boiling water
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
284 ml carton double cream, (heavy cream) lightly whipped
500 g fresh strawberries, hulled
100 g chopped, toasted hazelnuts (filberts)
4 tbsp redcurrant jelly, warmed through in small pan
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4.. Grease and line the base of a 20 cm loose bottomed cake tin.
2. In a large bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
3. Add the sugar and whisk until the mixture is smooth, then add the egg yolks.
4. Remove the beaters and sieve the flour over the mixture and fold in with a metal spoon.
5. Drizzle the oil, boiling water and vanilla essence around the end of the mixture and fold in. Then pour into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
6. Once cooked, cool on a rack then cut in half horizontally. Sandwich the cake together using half the cream and half the strawberries which have been sliced.
7. Spread the remaining cream on the sides of the cake and roll in the toasted hazelnuts.
8. Cut the remaining strawberries in half and arrange on the surface of the cake and brush over with warmed glaze.
40 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!