2 x 125 g punnets redcurrants, removed from the stalks
1 tbsps water
2 tbsp caster sugar (superfine granulated)
Zest of 1 orange
2 x 284 ml (1/2 pint) pots double cream (heavy cream)
1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped out
4 medium egg yolks
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz brown sugar
2 tbsp sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) Gas Mark 2.
2. For the redcurrant compote, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat until the sugar dissolves and the berries have begun to break down.. Put to one side to cool.
3. For the brulee, place the cream and vanilla pod and seeds in a saucepan and bring to just below boling point.
4. In a bowl combine together the egg yolks and sugar, pour on the cream whisking continuosly. Rinse the saucepan and return the custard, place over a moderate heat and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Spoon the redcurrant compote equally between 4 ramekin dishes or into a 20 cm shallow dish. Top with the custard, then transfer to a bain marie* and cook for 30-35 minutes.
6. Remove from the bain marie and allow to cool.
7. Preheat a grill to a high heat, sprinkle the suface of the custards with the sugar and place under the grill until the sugar melts and carmelises, turning the dish(es) to brown evenly. Allow to stand for 15-20 minutes and serve.
35 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!