makes 8 to 10
3/4 cup (75 g) 3 oz plain flour (All purpose)
pinch of salt
1 medium egg
300 ml milk
juice of 1 lemon
sugar to taste
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the egg and gradually beat in half the milk. Add the remaining milk and beat until smooth.
2. Lightly oil a frying pan and place over a moderate heat. Pour in just enough batter to cover the base of the pan. Cook until the underside is golden, then turn and cook the other side. Cool on a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining batter.
3. To freeze, stack the pancakes with greaseproof paper between each one. Place the pile in a polythene bag. Seal, label and freeze.
4. To serve, thaw the wrapped pile at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours, or remove individual pancakes as needed and thaw for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Unwrap the the pile and reheat in a moderately hot oven, 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5 for 20 to 30 minutes. Reheat individual pancakes in a lightly greased hot frying pan for about 3 minutes on each side.
6. Sprinkle with lemon juice, roll up and top with sugar and lemon twists.