serves 6 - 8
3 3/4 cups (375 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
1/3 cup (75 g) 3oz caster sugar (superfine granulated), 1/8 cup (25 g) reserved for sprinkling
3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) 75 g butter, chopped into pieces
2 medium size eggs (1 egg lightly beaten for glazing)
175 ml (3/4 cup) buttermilk
50 g bramley apples, peeled and chopped
250 g punnet blackberries
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz granulated sugar, or to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4..
2. Sieve the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and 50 g caster sugar into a bowl, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Whisk together 1 egg and the buttermilk. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour in the liquid and mix to a soft dough.
3. Sprinkle a little flour onto the work surface. Turn out the dough and then divide into two pieces, one should be slightly larger than the other. Reserve the large one for the lid. Shape into a round.
4. Dip your fingers in flour. Spread the smaller piece of pastry onto a 25 cm pie plate. Scatter with the apple pieces and blackberries, then sprinkle with the granulated sugar. Brush the edge of the pastry with the remaining beaten egg.
5. Roll out the other piece of dough until it is exactly the size to cover the plate, lift it on and press the edges together to seal them. Make a hole in the centre for the steam to escape, brush with the remaining beaten egg
6. Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the fruit is soft and the crust is golden. Leave to sit for 15-20 minutes so that juices can soak into the crust. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and serve as suggested.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!