25 g (1 oz) cooking fat
2 oz (50 g) mixed dried fruit
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice) or cinnamon
for the batter
3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain flour (All purpose)
l.25 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
1 egg, beaten
250 ml (8 fl oz) milk, or half milk and half water
1. Make the batter. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg.
2. Stir in half the milk (or all the milk, if using a mixture of milk and water), gradually working in the flour.
3. Beat vigorously until the mixture is smooth and bubbly, then stir in the rest of the milk (or the water).
4. Put the fat into an 18 X 28 cm (7 X 11 inch) baking tin and heat in the oven for 5 minutes.
5. Spread 50 g (2 oz) mixed dried fruit over the base of the tin.
6. Sprinkle with 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) mixed spice or cinnamon.
7. Pour the batter over the top and bake for 30 - 35 minutes until brown and risen.
8. serve with St. Clement's Sauce.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!