2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
4 tbsp groundnut (peanut) oil
350 g bone in shoulder lamb
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
4 - 6 cardamom pods, crushed open
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
4 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large deep sided frying pan until hot.
2. Add the lamb and brown on all sides then remove and put to one side.
3. Add the onion, followed by the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the spices.
4. Cook until the cardamom pods have taken on a little colour and the other spices start to release their fragrance.
5. Return the lamb to the frying pan.
6. Add in 250 ml water and stir well to incorporate.
7. Then simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
8. Serve immmediately.
22 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!