1 kg potatoes
500 g scrag and middle neck lamb
125 g lambs' kidneys, skinned, halved and cored
1 large onion, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml boiling water
15 g margarine or dripping (fat from roasted meat), melted
parsley sprig to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5.
2. Grease a 1.5 litre deep casserole.
3. Halve enough potatoes to cover the top of the dish and set aside.
4. Slice the rest thickly and put in the casserole.
5. Cover with the lamb, lamb kidneys, onion and carrot, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour in the boiling water.
7. Cover with the reserved potatoes and brush with the melted fat.
8. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, removing the lid after 1 hour to brown the potatoes.
9. Garnish with parsley.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!