500 g lamb mince (if frozen, defrosted)
2 tsps fennel seeds, crushed
15 g pack sage, finely chopped, (save half for the polenta)
3 Italian herb and spice Oxo cubes
125 g smoked bacon, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
400 g can chopped tomatoes
50 ml red wine
200 g polenta, made up as pack instructions
60 g pack freshly grated parmesan
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5.
2. For the meatballs: Combine all the ingredients together, season and mix with your hands to bring together. Divide into eight and shape into balls.
3. Heat a frying pan and when hot fry the meatballs gently until golden brown. Remove to an ovenproof dish.
4. For the sauce: Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Fry gently until soft and add the tomatoes and red wine. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes and then pour over the meatballs. Cover and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
6. Finish the polenta by adding the parmesan, salt and freshly ground black pepper and the remaining sage. Season well.
7. Place a spoonful of polenta on each plate and top with two meatballs and some of the sauce. Delicious.