425g (15 oz) can apricot halves, drained
3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g butter
4 level tbsps (60 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt milk
1/4 cup (4 Tbls) 50 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
4 large eggs, separated
1 tbsp (15 ml) apricot brandy
1. Butter a 17 cm, 1.7 litre (6 1/2 in, 3 pt) souffle dish.
2. Sieve the apricots.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour, then the milk. Stir until smooth then add the apricot puree, bring to boiling point, stirring, and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, egg yolks and liqueur.
5. Fold in the stiffly whisked egg whites.
6. Turn the mixture into the souffle dish.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes at 180°C (350°f) mark 4 until well risen, golden browrn and just firm to the touch.
8. Serve immediately, with a liqueur-laced thin sauce made from the juice of the apricots.