2 lb (900 g) boned lean lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into large cubes
3 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
1 onion, skinned and sliced
2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) saffron threads
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp (5 ml) ground ginger
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cumin
juice of 1 lemon
1 lb (450 g) mixed dried fruit, such as prunes, apples, pears and apricots, rinsed, soaked overnight and drained
3 tbsp (60 ml) clear honey
25 g (1 oz) toasted sesame seeds
1. Put the lamb, oil, salt, onion, coriander, saffron, cinnamon stick, ginger, cumin and lemon juice in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Pour over about 450 ml (1 pint) water, or just enough to cover the lamb.
3. Cover tightly with a well-fitting lid and simmer over a very low heat for 2 hours.
4. Add the fruit and honey. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the lamb and fruit with a slotted spoon.
6. Skim off any fat, then boil the liquid until reduced to about 150 ml (1/4 pint).
7. Discard the cinnamon stick.
8. Return the lamb and fruit to the pan and heat through.
9. Serve hot, sprinkled with the sesame seeds.
10 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!