750 g oxtail
2 level 1 tbsps plain flour (All purpose), seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp oil
2 large onions, chopped
250 g carrots, sliced
300 ml red wine
600 ml beef stock
2 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
250 g button mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme (optional)
1. Coat the oxtail in the seasoned flour.
2. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish or saucepan, add the oxtail and fry until evenly browned. Remove from the pan.
3. Brown the onions and carrots, stirring in any remaining flour.
4. Add the wine, stock, tomato puree and oxtail, stir well.
5. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 2 1/2 hours.
6. Add the mushrooms and herbs, mix well and continue to cook for a further 1/2 hour.