1 lb (450 g) pumpkin
200 g ( 7 oz) shortcrust pastry
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup (8 Tbls) 100 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
60 ml (4 tbsps) milk
pinch ground nutmeg
pinch ground ginger
2 level tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon
1. Cut the pumpkin into pieces, remove any seeds and cottonwoolly inside part and cut off the outside skin.
2. Steam the pieces of pumpkin between 2 plates over a pan of boiling water until tender - 15-20 minutes - and drain thoroughly.
3. Mash well with a fork or puree in an electric blender. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 20.5cm (8-in) flan case or deep pie plate; trim and decorate the edges.
4. Beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the pumpkin, milk and spices.
5. Blend well and pour into the pastry case.
6. Bake in the oven at 220°C (425°F) mark 7 for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180°C (350°F) mark 4 and bake for a further 30 minutes or until the filling is set.
Serve warm, with cream.