1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz dried apricots
3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain flour (All purpose)
l.25 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
1 egg, beaten
250 ml (8 fl oz) milk, or half milk and half water
1. Put 100 g (4 oz) dried apricots in a bowl and add water to just cover. Soak until soft, preferably overnight.
2. Transfer the apricots and soaking liquid to a pan and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain.
3. Make the batter. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg.
4. Stir in half the milk (or all the milk, if using a mixture of milk and water), gradually working in the flour.
5. Beat vigorously until the mixture is smooth and bubbly, then stir in the rest of the milk (or the water).
6. Put the fat into an 18 X 28 cm/7 X 11 inch baking tin and heat in the oven for 5 minutes.
7. layer the apricots on the base of the baking tin.
8. Pour the batter over the top and bake for 30 - 35 minutes until brown and risen.
9. Serve with Jam Sauce, using apricot jam.