4 cardamom pods, crush seeds and discard pods
1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
2 tsps garam masala
500 g lean lamb fillet, cut into 1 cm pieces
2 tbsp spoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 vegetable stock cube made up with 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) boiling water
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml canned coconut milk
450 g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
225 g pack prepared young leaf spinach
salt and freshly ground black pepper
cayenne pepper to dust
1. Mix together the cardomom, coriander, cumin and garam masala and use to coat the meat.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, garlic and chilli for 5 minutes until softened but not browned.
3. Add the spiced lamb and cook, stirring for 3 - 4 minutes until browned all over.
4. Pour in the stock and coconut milk, bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
5. Add the potatoes to the lamb, stir well and simmer, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes until tender.
6. Then add the spinach and plenty of seasoning.
7. Stir well and cook for a further 2 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
8. Serve spooned onto serving plates accompanied with warmed naan bread,
9. Dust with cayenne pepper for heat and spice, if liked.
13 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!