25 g (1 oz) cooking fat
450 g (1 lb cooking (tart) apples
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz sugar
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
for the batter
3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain flour (All purpose)
l.25 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
1 egg, beaten
250 ml (8 fl oz) milk, or half milk and half water
1. Make the batter. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg.
2. Stir in half the milk (or all the milk, if using a mixture of milk and water), gradually working in the flour.
3. Beat vigorously until the mixture is smooth and bubbly, then stir in the rest of the milk (or the water).
4. Set the oven at 220°C (425°F) gas 7.
5. Put the fat into an 18 X 28 cm (7 X 11 inch) baking tin and heat in the oven for 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile peel, core and thinly slice the apples.
7. Remove the baking tin from the oven and swiftly arrange the apples on the base.
8. Sprinkle with the sugar and lemon rind.
9. Pour the batter over the top and bake for 30 - 35 minutes until brown and risen.
10. Cut into 4 pieces and serve at once, with golden syrup or Rich Lemon Sauce if liked.