2 oz (50 g) chocolate
1/3 cup (75 g) butter or block margarine
1/3 cup (65 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 egg, separated
2.5-5 ml (1/2-1 tsp) vanilla essence
2 cups (4 oz) 120g fresh white breadcrumbs
1/3 cup (50 g) self raising (self rising) flour, sifted
60-75 ml (4-5 tbsps) milk
1. Half-till a steamer or large saucepan with water and put on to boil.
2. Grease a 900-ml (1 1/2-ptj pudding basin.
3. Melt the chocolate in a basin over hot water.
4. Cream the fat and sugar until pale and fluffy and beat in the chocolate, egg yolk and vanilla essence.
5. Mix the breadcrumbs and flour and fold half into the creamed mixture, with 30 ml (2 tbsps) milk.
6. Fold in the remaining crumbs and flour and sufficient milk to give a fairly soft dropping consistency.
7. Whisk the egg white stiffly and fold into the mixture.
8. Turn it into the prepared basin, cover with greased greaseproof paper or foil and secure with string.
9. Steam for 1 1/2 - 2 hours over rapidly boiling water.
10. Turn out and serve with hot chocolate sauce.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!