serves 4 - 6
3 tbsp olive oil
1 carrot, sliced
2 onions, sliced
1 stick celery, sliced
750 ml (1 bottle) dry red wine
1 bouquet garni
12 juniper berries
12 whole black peppercorns
1 leg of lamb
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onions and celery, until softened but not browned.
2. Add the wine, bouquet garni, juniper berries and peppercorns.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer the marinade for approximately 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4. Place the leg joint in a deep non-metallic dish.
5. Pour the marinade over the meat so that the meat is completely covered. Cover and marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator, turning the meat occasionally. Remove the meat and reserve the marinade.
6. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5.
7. Place the leg joint in a roasting tray. Cook in the preheated oven for 25 minutes per 500 g, plus 25 minutes. When the meat is cooked, remove from the tin, cover and keep warm.
8. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
9. Meanwhile, strain the marinade, pour it into the roasting tin and bring to the boil over a moderate heat, stirring well to incorporate the meat juices.
Serve with the carved meat.