1/4 cup (4 Tbls) 50 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
4 large eggs
4 level tbsps (60 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla essence
icing sugar (confectioners sugar), optional
1. Butter an 18-cm, 1.7 litre (7in, 3 pt) souffle dish.
2. Cream the sugar with one whole egg and one yolk until pale cream in colour.
3. Stir in the flour. Pour on the milk and mix until smooth.
4. Bring to boiling point, stirring, and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Cool slightly, then beat in the remaining yolks and vanilla essence.
6. Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
7. Pour into the souffle dish and bake for about 45 minutes at 180°C (350°F) mark 4, until well risen, firm to the touch and golden.
If you wish, after 30 minutes cooking, quickly dust the souffle with icing sugar and continue to bake.