serves: 4 to 6
1 tsp Chinese five spice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
900 g pork shoulder joint, boned and rolled
2 star anise
2 cm piece ginger, sliced into three
3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 medium onions, peeled and sliced in half
1 red chilli, deseeded and split in half
3 tbsp soy sauce
284 ml carton fresh chicken stock, boiling
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml boiling water
200 g pack Chinese Medley, washed
300 g pack Choi Sum, washed
1 carrot, peeled and sliced very thinly
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°, Gas Mark 4.
2. Rub the five spice, salt and freshly ground black pepper into the pork and place this in an ovenproof dish. Add the star anise, ginger, garlic, onions, chilli, soy sauce, chicken stock and water. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook in the oven for 1hour.
3. Remove the pork from the liquor, when a little cooler remove the string and skin.
4. In a large saucepan, pour in 100 ml of cooking liquor, bring to the boil and add the Chinese medley, choi sum and carrot. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes with a lid. Drain.
5. To serve, slice the pork, arrange with the vegetables and pour over a little cooking liquor to suit your taste.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!