serves 4 - 6
500 g pigs liver
250 g minced pork
175 g long grain rice
300 ml milk
3 tbsp seedless raisins or currants
2 tbsp molasses or black treacle (molasses)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 x 5 ml spoon dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 medium size eggs, beaten
oil for greasing
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) gas mark 5.
2. In the food processor or mincer, make a smooth or lighly textured paste of the liver and pork.
3. Cook the rice in the milk, tightly covered, over a very low heat, for 12 minutes, when the liquid will have been absorbed and the rice will be tender.
4. Into the warm, cooked rice, stir the raisins or currants, molasses or treacle, salt, thyme, allspice and beaten eggs, add the meat mixture and beat well.
5. Spoon into a greased 18 cm loose-bottomed cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, until brown on top and firm to touch. Cool in the tin before turning out.
6. Serve cut in thin wedges with a well flavoured sauce, add grated orange rind or cognac to a redcurrrant sauce.