Spiced beefcake is a traditional meat loaf recipe using minced beef.
400 g (14 oz) fairly finely minced lean beef
2 oz (50 g) shredded suet
8 oz (225 g) minced bacon
1 minced, medium-sized onion
1 cup (75 g) minced mushrooms
2 tsp mixed powdered mace, cloves, cayenne, allspice, pepper
2 tsp salt
750 ml (3 fl oz) red wine, port or sherry
1. Mix all the ingredients together and leave them for the flavours to amalgamate for an hour or two.
2. Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) gas mark 3. Pack the mixture into a terrine, either round, rectangular or oval, so that it fills it well. Bake it, uncovered, in a bain-marie for two hours.
3. If you intend to eat it hot, cook it with a weight on top or it will become impossible to slice.
4. Serve it with hot gravy, made from the juices that have come from the meat, fat removed, with a little water and flour for thickening.
5. If you intend to eat it cold, let it cool with a light weight on top, in its own liquor, which should set to a jelly.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!