2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
750 g braising steak, cut into 5 cm cubes
300 mls red wine
1 beef stock cube
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt boiling water
2 long strips pared orange zest
1 bouquet garni
125 g pitted black olives
125 g button mushrooms, quartered
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place the oil, onion and garlic in a bowl and cook on high for 3 minutes.
2. Add the braising steak, wine, crumbled stock cube, water, orange zest and bouquet garni and stir well.
3. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.
4. Stir again, then cover and cook on low for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the olives and mushrooms, cover and cook on low for 20 minutes.
6. Remove the orange zest and bouquet garni.
7. Blend the butter and flour together to make a beurre manie paste, then stir into the casserole.
8. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
9. Leave to stand for 5 - 10 minutes.
10. Serve with boiled rice.
49 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!