500 g extra lean minced beef
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 cm dice
400 g can chopped tomatoes
1 beef stock cube made up to scant 1/2 (us) cup (100 ml) with boiling water
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lb 6 oz (625 g) King Edward or other floury potatoes, peeled
150 g mature cheddar, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) gas mark 5.
2. Dry-fry the minced beef, onion and carrot in a large frying pan until the meat is browned. Stir in the canned tomatoes and stock, and bring to the boil.
3. Transfer to a 20 x 23 cm ovenproof dish, and put to one side while preparing the potatoes.
4. Cut the potatoes into thin slices and arrange on the top of the beef pie. Scatter over the cheese and cook in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown.
5. Serve with freshly cooked green vegetables.
43 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!