2 tbsp oil
2 kg duckling, quartered
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp paprika
90 ml sweet sherry
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml beef stock
1 bouquet garni
227 g can tomatoes
2 tsp cornflour blended with 1 tbsp water
50 g large, black olives
1. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and brown the duckling evenly, two pieces at a time.
2. Remove and pour off most of the fat, then add the onion and cook until soft.
3. Stir in the paprika and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Return the duck to the casserole.
5. Warm the sherry, pour over the duck and ignite.
6. When the flames die, add the stock, bouquet garni and tomatoes with their juice.
7. Bring to the boil, cover and cook in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4. for 45 minutes. Cool.
8. To freeze, arrange in a foil dish. Cover, place in a polythene bag, seal, label and freeze.
9. To serve, thaw in wrappings in the refrigerator overnight. Unwrap, cover loosely with fresh foil and reheat in a preheated moderately hot oven, 190°C (375°F) gas mark 5.for 40 minutes.
10. Stir in the blended cornflour, add the olives and return to the oven, uncovered for 15 minutes.