1 tbsp oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
450 g diced braising steak
1 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 beef stock cube made up with 2 cups (500 ml) boiling water
50 g vegetable suet
1 cup (100 g) 4 oz self raising (self rising) flour
chopped parsley to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, brown the carrots and onion, stir in the diced braising steak, brown well then stir in the flour.
2. Add a bay leaf and thyme sprig along with the beef stock.
3. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile make a dough with the suet, flour and a little water.
5. Form into 8 dumplings.
6. Remove cover from the steak, pop the dumplings on the top and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
7. Serve immediately garnished with parsley.