3 tbsp vegetable oil
500 g lean minced lamb or beef
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp ground allspice
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt hot water
1 tbsp grated orange or lemon zest
50 g pine kernels, toasted
50 g walnuts, roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
600 ml chicken stock or water
pinch saffron soaked in hot water for 5 minutes (optional)
250 g long grain rice
1. Heat the vegetable oil and sauté the meat and spices, breaking up any lumps. Add seasoning and the water, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
2. Add the orange or lemon zest, pine kernels and walnuts and a little water if needed, stir and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick.
3. In the meantime, bring the stock or water to the boil for the pilav, add the saffron if using, and the rice and salt.
4. Stir, cover tightly and cook as gently as possible, for 12-15 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
5. Serve the meat piled on top of the rice.